While the Black Friday deals have already begun, the Friday after Thanksgiving remains a popular day to find the best steals on gifts for your loved ones. Whether you are shopping in-person or online, it’s important to take precautions to protect yourself and your belongings. Here are some great tips to help you stay safe:
In the store
- There is safety in numbers. Bring friends with you when you shop. It’s safer and more fun!
- Bring and use only ONE credit card. It’s much easier to cancel one card if it is lost or stolen than a wallet full.
- If possible, keep your keys, cash, and credit card in three different places. Avoid using a purse if possible. If you must carry a purse, never leave it unattended, and always wear it.
- When shopping with kids, make sure you designate a place to meet in case you get separated.
- If a deal you’ve had your eye on is running low in stock, beware of over-zealous bargain hunters. There is no deal worth getting into a fight over and it’s likely you can find it online for the same price.
In the car
- Put all your shopping bags in the trunk or somewhere out of sight to avoid a vehicle break-in. A thief is more likely to break into your vehicle if they can see something they want.
- Keep your doors always locked when you leave your vehicle.
- Parking lots can be hectic, with other drivers and pedestrians. Go slow and keep your eyes peeled so you don’t hit anyone.
- Park directly under lights when it’s dark outside and avoid parking near large vehicles that might block your view.
- When you arrive home, be sure to bring your packages inside. Do not leave them in your car.
- Avoid shopping over public Wi-Fi networks.
- Shop with reputable retailers only.
- Double-check website URLs for phishing URLs. Scammers like to create pages that look like secure sites that steal your information.
- Learn to spot Black Friday deals that look too good to be true. It’s likely they are a scam.
- Credit cards typically offer increased consumer protections, and they don’t tie up your funds if something were to happen.
Keep these tips in mind while grabbing the best deals that Black Friday has to offer. Stay safe and go get the deals you’ve been waiting all year for! Happy shopping!